JEFFERSONVILLE COUNTRY CLUB
(a/k/a Northside Country Club)
July 4 The new Jeffersonville Country Club clubhouse and golf course in Prather, Indiana, “will be thrown open for inspection on July 4th.” [Courier-Journal, July 3, 1927] Editorial Note: Subsequent reports credit Maxwell with the Jeffersonville course. The course does not appear to have been finished at this point since the informal and formal opening did not occur for another year. Rather, it seems this was just part of a membership drive.
September 28 Maxwell is “engaged in building two very pretentious golf courses, one in Philadelphia, Pa., the other at Louisville, Ky.” [Daily Ardmoreite, September 28, 1927] Editorial Note: The Philadelphia course is almost certainly Melrose and the Louisville course is likely Jeffersonville Country Club in Prather, Indiana, a few miles northeast of Louisville.
June 10 The informal opening of the 18-hole Jeffersonville Country Club course in Prather, Indiana, is held with the formal opening scheduled for July 4th, the one year anniversary of the club. All of the regular greens and tees are in use. Maxwell “laid out and designed” the golf course on 160 acres, with a 10 acre pond, bluegrass fairways and bent greens. M.H. Veal, the former pro at Dornick Hills in Ardmore, has been hired as the pro. [Courier-Journal, June 8, 1928]
April 19 Northside Country Club takes over possession of the Jeffersonville Country Club in Prather, Indiana, which “is no more.” Maxwell constructed the course three years prior. [Courier-Journal, April 9, 1930] Editorial Note: The relationship between Jeffersonville and Northside is murky. While there are several articles relating to Northside replacing Jeffersonville in 1930, there are also articles continuing to reference Jeffersonville thereafter. Regardless, it appears that the club ultimately failed and was sold at auction in 1941.
April 16 Jeffersonville Country Club in Prather, Indiana, including the 18-hole course designed by Maxwell, is sold and will be converted into a corm farm. [Courier-Journal, April 16, 1941] Editorial Note: This article notes that the club attracted business men in the “prosperous Twenties” but fell on hard times after the crash of 1929 and was ultimately abandoned.