© 2019 All Rights Reserved

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

NOBLE HILLS MUNICIPAL GOLF COURSE

Paducah, Kentucky

1927

July 16                   Paducah, Kentucky park board considers proposal for a municipal golf course to be designed by Maxwell “as a compliment to the city and his many friends here.”  If the project is undertaken, work would begin in the fall of 1927 with a projected opening in the summer of 1928. [Paducah News-Democrat, July 16, 1927]  Editorial Note:  This project would become Noble Hills municipal golf course which, according “History of Paducah Parks, Playgrounds and Recreation”, compiled by Sue Dana Green, edited and printed by Gracie Alexander, August 1, 1978, survived until the 1940s.

1928

March                    Maxwell is constructing a nine-hole public golf course on 70 acres leased by the city of Paducah, Kentucky adjoining Noble Park. [Golf Illustrated, March 1928]  Editorial Note:  This project would become Noble Hills municipal golf course which, according “History of Paducah Parks, Playgrounds and Recreation”, compiled by Sue Dana Green, edited and printed by Gracie Alexander, August 1, 1978, survived until the 1940s.

March 17              A meeting is held of persons interested in developing a municipal golf course and other recreational facilities adjoining Bob Noble Park in Paducah, Kentucky.  Maxwell is expected in Paducah on April 1 to lay out the course, which he will design for free as an expression of appreciation for the people off Paducah.  [Paducah News-Democrat, March 17, 1927]

March 26              Work is started to cleanup a 70-acre tract adjoining Bob Noble Park in Paducah, Kentucky in advance of Maxwell’s arrival to lay out golf course for free.  [Paducah News-Democrat, March 25, 1928]

March 30               Cleanup work on the site adjoining Bob Noble Park in Paducah, Kentucky has been going on for several days.  Maxwell is expected the following week to design a nine-hole golf course.  [Paducah News-Democrat, March 31, 1928]